“…epitome of food love that’s just loving’ on ya….”
I called my sister this morning to bug her about an upcoming family event we were planning. Ready to hear her friendly hello, I instead got the voice of someone that had a cup full of dry sand stuck in their throat. The quick conversation went something like this: me: Oh my Gawd, you’re sick! sis: Cough.. cough….cough. Squeek! me: don’t say another word. I’ll be right over with soup!
Somehow, through that quick exchange, I ascertained that she had laryngitis. I know, I’m brilliant, right? Don’t ask me how I knew, maybe it’s just a sister thing.
Perfect for an afternoon with laryngitis, or just lounging about the house while it’s winter outside, this soup is the epitome of food love that’s just lovin’ on ya. The flavours are like a warm shall on your cold shoulders, embracing and comfortable. It’s old fashioned soup with the new kid on the block – kale. And it does an old fashioned deed. It warms you up and helps make you feel better if you’re feeling under the weather. Ok. Go curl up on the couch now whilst your loved one makes this for you.♥
- 1 pound ground turkey
- ½ cup panko breadcrumbs
- ½ cup finely grated Parmesan
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- 1 large egg, whisked
- Kosher salt, freshly ground pepper
- 6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 leeks, white parts chopped
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- ¼ cup pepe bucato or other small pasta
- 1 cup carrots chopped
- ¼ cup parsley, chopped + 1 tablespoon for garnish
- 2 cups packed chopped kale
- Into a large bowl: ground turkey, panko breadcrumbs, Parmesan Cheese, minced garlic, chives, whisked egg, 1 tsp. of salt and 1 tsp. of pepper.
- Gently mix the ingredients together so that they are just incorporated. Form into 1 inch diameter meatballs.
- Over medium heat, heat 3 tablespoons of olive oil in large skillet and brown the meatballs to a golden brown. About 1-2 minutes per side. No need to cook them through as they will finish cooking in the soup. Set aside on a plate with paper towels.
- In a large soup pot over medium heat, heat 3 tablespoons of olive oil. Add the leeks and carrots. Stirring often until they start to soften - about 5 minutes.
- Add the 4 cups of chicken stock, 2 cups of water and bring to a boil
- Add meatballs, decrease heat and let simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add the ¼ cup of small pasta, chopped kale and parsley and let simmer for another 10 minutes.
- Ladle soup into your favorite bowl and garnish with parsley.